LET’S TALK ABOUT LICE
The most common type of louse is the head louse, which lives on the scalp and hair, and occasionally on eyelashes. Nits resemble dandruff but are hard and fastened to the hair shaft, usually within 1” from the scalp. All nits must be removed by hand for effective control of head lice.
Nits are usually found behind the ears and around the back of the neck. Live lice can be seen crawling on the hair or scalp; however, nits are more commonly found.
Lice are spread by direct contact from infected person’s clothing (especially hats), combs and brushes, carpet, stuffed toys, furniture, pillows, and head-to-head contact. To treat lice:
Care of Clothing and Home:
- Buy a medicated shampoo for lice.
- Read and follow the directions on the shampoo label.
- Remove nits from hair shaft by picking them off one by one.
- Repeat shampoo according to the directions to kill any lice hatched or missed nits since applying the first treatment.
- As a precautionary measure, treat ALL family members.
Returning to School:
- Soak combs and brushes in HOT soapy water or lice shampoo.
- Treat clothing and articles in the home by washing in HOT soapy water or dry cleaning them.
- Non-washable items such as pillows and stuffed toys can be sealed in a plastic bag for 2 weeks.
- Vacuum rugs, mattresses, and upholstered furniture. Car upholstery and carpet should also be vacuumed. The vacuum bag should be discarded.
**Students who do not return to school within two days may be referred to the
- Remove all nits.
- May return to school the next morning and no later than 2 days after treatment with medicated shampoo.**
- Examination by school personnel or Health Department team personnel.
- Return signed form to school (Form 3).
Dean of Students or the appropriate agency.
RE-ADMIT SITES AND TIMES FOR THE 2012/13 SCHOOL YEAR
HOCKING COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
350 St Rt 664N, Logan, OH 43138 385-3030
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM to 9:30 AM
Tuesday * Thursday
6:30 PM to 7:30 PM
*CHILD MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT
Children may only be re-entered at the sites listed above during the hours listed. Please do not report to your home school for re-entry without proper documentation.